Friday, June 11, 2010

Loss

We were so fascinated by him that we neglected to issue the appropriate family greetings because we didn"t want to miss the photo opportunity. The chance to take pictures of one of God's small creatures. A creature who looked hungry, tired, scared, alarmed, sad..."It" seemed to look at us for answers. How I wish we could have given him some! He allowed us to get so close. I wish I could have picked him up! Held him & reassure him that things were going to be okay. But were they? It turned out that of one of his family members was dead on the ground by the side of the house. This little guy was trying to make sense of it all. What to do. Why had life treated him this way? Where to go, what to do. Would he himself be able to survive on his own? We have no idea how old he is. We threw him some bread. He didn't eat it. Took some more pictures. We watched as this small malnourished racccoon tried to catch insects. I guess he was making the best of the cards that had been dealt to him. Perhaps misplaced by the recent flooding of the Guadalupe river. " Later we did see 3 traps in the back of the house. Not what I wanted to see. Luckily they weren't set! We left the raccoon alone from then on. Only saw him one more during our stay.. Didn't ever see any damage that raccoons had done at this historic home. Sorry for your loss little guy. Nature happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment